Friday, April 17, 2009

What to read in Digital photography

Welcome to Digital Photo talk !

I am sure there are many like me - just stepped into the world of digital photography. I have been reading a lot of books, blogs, websites, magazines and the list goes on. Let me list them down so that you too can get benefited - I am not listing useless books which waste your time.

1. Most important: Read your camera manual. You should know how to handle your camera completely. Trust me. I know the manual is small in size and not easy to read. You can download a soft copy and read it - this is a lot easier. Handling your camera should become your second nature. Particularly Canon models where many settings go by menus unlike Nikon where there are buttons on the back of the camera body.
Also the canon online resources for the cameras are very informative. Check out - 
--> tips and techniques & EOS digital sections
--> it also contains videos explaining stuff.

2. Scott Kelby's Digital photography vol 1 & 2 : This is the set of books where he tells you exactly what to do in a so-and-so situation. You don't have to buy them. I borrowed these books from my local library repeatedly.

3. KODAK digital photography books: If you really want to understand why some photos work and some don't, I found KODAK books to very authentic. I never thought I would read about Fibonacci numbers in a photography book.

4. National Geographic publications - Field guides & magazines.

5. YouTube: Can you imagine, YouTube contains tons of videos explaining everything you ought to know about photography using YOUR camera. All you need to do is search for your camera model and some one there will be explaining how you can do this and that using YOUR camera. For example search for Canon XSI and in the list, look up for what you want to do, like for instance - setting custom white balance (pretty easy), recompose a shot using exposure lock etc.

6. Blogs: 

http://digitalphototalk.blogspot.com/      <-- you are already here!!!

7. Websites:

8. Your own vision: develop a sense of photography. You have to start to see things differently - as if you are always looking TTL :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment